County Board FAQs

Question: What is the difference between the County Board of Equalization and the Rutherford County Assessor’s Office?

Answer: The Board of Review is a separate, quasi-judicial agency independent of the Assessor. The Rutherford County Property Assessor sets the taxable value on all parcels of real estate and personal property located in Rutherford County. Property owners may appeal the assessment set by the Assessor with the County Board of Equalization.

Question: Who are the members of the board and when do they meet?

Answer: Go here

Question: What do I bring to file my appeal?

Answer: Please contact the coordinator for further instructions.

Question: Can I file an appeal even if I have received a reduction with the Assessor’s office through informal appeals?

Answer: Yes. The Board is not bound by the final determination of the Assessor. You are at no disadvantage if the Assessor has granted or denied a request to reduce the assessment.

Question: Can I file an appeal for a prior year?

Answer: No. The Board’s jurisdiction is limited by law to the current year.

Question: Why did my assessment go up?

Answer: Every property in Rutherford County must be reassessed every four years. In an assessment year (2018), your assessment is updated to reflect changes in value over the past four years. In other years, the assessment may have changed due to an increase in occupancy, new construction or other factors as determined by the Assessor.

Question: Will I receive a refund if I get a reduction with your office?

Answer: An assessment reduction granted by the CBOE may result in a tax bill lower than it otherwise would be without the reduction. However, many factors other than your level of assessment including exemptions, local tax levies & tax rates, determine the amount of your tax bill. For further information please call our office @ 615-898-7750.

Question: How do I find comparable properties?

Answer: You can find comparable properties through this and access to the County's CIS system.

Question: How do I make an appointment to be heard at the Rutherford County Board of Equalization?

Answer: Contact our coordinators for your property type here


How to Appeal Appeal Request Form Letter of Authorization Form Appeal Coordinators FAQs